The private equity market in the Western Balkans is at a very early stage of development and there is currently limited investment opportunity. The main source of financial capital available for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) throughout the region currently is through banks; by obtaining lines of credit, bank loans and other forms of debt. Alternative sources of capital are either non-existent or in very low supply.
However, this can change in time as private equity funds look to expand their portfolios and geographic reach, and it is important that SMEs seeking equity partners are able to draw on service providers that can help them adequately prepare for investment.
This course offers an excellent opportunity to gain insight into how the private equity market works and how you can help your clients/employers to become ready for investment.
- Understand how private equity works and whether it may be a good fit your clients/employer
- Understand the process by which a private equity investment is initially considered and then transacted and find your niche to support your client/employer become investment ready
- If you are a potential investor (e.g. an ‘angel investor’): understand private equity processes to perform investment screening and structuring that may be helpful for you
- If you are an entrepreneur: understand how the private equity market works to understand whether it may be a viable source of capital for your business and what kind of professional support is needed to go through the process
Disclaimer: This webpage was created and maintained with the financial support of the European Union. Its contents are the sole responsibility of CFRR and do not necessarily reflect the views of the European Union.
By the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Define “private equity”
- Describe the dynamics of the private equity and venture capital market
- Prepare an investment teaser
- Comprehend the importance of financial statements and analysis assessments;
- Gain an understanding about the company valuation process for private equity transactions
- Explain the benefits of performing sell-side due diligence to mitigate risks and maximize value
- Explain structural aspects of private equity deals
- Gain an understanding of common governance arrangements after a private equity investment has been made
- Module 1: Equity Investment and Private Equity
- Module 2: Use of Funds
- Module 3: Getting Investor Interest
- Module 4: Negotiating Private Equity Investment
- Module 5: Financial Statement and Financial Analysis
- Module 6: Company Valuation
- Module 7: Private Equity Due Diligence
- Module 8: Deal Structuring
- Module 9: The Term Sheet
- Module 10: Governance and Management Post Investment